Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hanoi Hilton





Given America’s history in Vietnam, I can’t believe I am actually visiting a country and city that I read about so much during the Vietnam War. It feels odd. Yet, strangely, you would never know. At least as a tourist you would never know. There appears to be no animosity towards Americans. On the plane to Hanoi, we were the only Americans. We flew from Seoul and the plane was filled with Asians. I can’t believe that time could make such a difference. I do wonder how the Vietnamese people feel.

Our first historic sight was Hoa Lo Prison or as it became called the Hanoi Hilton. There were no tours; you walk through and it is sobering. What struck me was that the French held Vietnamese prisoners there earlier in the century and then the Vietnamese held Americans. In other words, whoever is in power in a country will have a prison and imprison their enemies. Incredibly inhumane acts are done to people all over the world. Tom and I alone have witnessed such prison cells in  Hungary and Romania and now in Vietnam. These chambers of horror exist everywhere and humans never seem to learn.




No comments:

Post a Comment